Table of Contents
Most users are ignorant of how harmful it could be if their information gets into the wrong hands. They give out vital details of their lives to some of these tech firms without recourse and fall victim of all potential violations. Think of all the unwanted emails and promotions from unknown sources, the web is littered with scammers who capitalize on any opportunity to scam people. Most of all the identity theft and credit card scams are as a result of the theft of user information from these big firms. We are not saying all these to scare you but to let you know of the potential harm from the intrusion of user privacy.
Apple’s CEO Tim Cook in a recent address at the 40th International Conference of Data Protection and Privacy Commissioners at the European Parliament in Brussels expressed his concern on the indiscriminate collection of user data by tech firms. He explained that; the current unchecked order where some big tech firms can intrude into people’s lives by way of accessing their private details must be curtailed. This persistent user privacy violation is a potential time bomb when you think about the possible after effect. Time and time again we’ve witnessed the harm that can arise from technology as shown through incitement of violence by some groups on social media.
Methods to help secure your personal data on Facebook and other Social Media Platforms
The harsh truth remains that there’s no foolproof technique to guarantee the security of your data on all social media platforms. However, here are some simple steps you can take to add an extra layer of security to your accounts;
· Be very mindful of the information you share: before you share or post anything on Facebook or any other social media platforms think of the possible outcomes. Remember that it is possible for a data breach to occur at those places. Therefore, share with care!
· Avoid unnecessary apps: ensure you keep a clean bill of apps. Give out your info to apps from verified publishers only and any app that is not absolutely necessary to you should not have your info!
· Secure your devices: use secure and strong passwords for your social media accounts. Remember, birthdays are not a great password option. Long phrases are recommended and are easy to remember too.
· Make use of the two-factor verification option: most big tech firms like Facebook and Google now provide users with this option. The two-factor verification process allows you to use a text code or fingerprint after the password to enter your account. This ensures a better level of safety.
How to Surf Anonymously Online
Surfing the web anonymously is also a great method of staying out of prying eyes. Here are some techniques to use when you need to ensure untraceable web browsing;
· Use of strong VPN: VPNs are a great tool for web anonymity. It provides you with the security mechanism to securely send and receive data over the web. With VPN, you’ll prevent others from seeing what you’re doing especially if you’re using a public Wi-Fi network.
· Proxy Servers: If you need to hide your IP address and other important browsing info from intruders then proxy servers are absolutely important to you. Proxy servers’ work by making it hard for the remote server to detect your browser info instead it’ll only see that of the proxy. Here are some of our recommended proxy servers; FreeProxy, Squid, Nginx, Java Anon Proxy etc.
Use of browser incognito mode: all top browsers like Chrome come with an inbuilt incognito mode. This ensures none of your browser info like history, cookies etc. are saved while surfing.
In summary, we all should be wary of just how much data we give out on the internet. Regulators have seen the potential harm being done by the big tech firms as regards the intrusion of user data and have put up some mechanisms to mitigate it. We have all seen the harm that can be done through the internet including identity theft and credit card scams. Safeguarding your data and web space is very important and must be taken seriously. We’ve tried to put you through some vital steps which will help you ensure the protection of your data and stay anonymous on the internet.
In a nutshell, you’re never invulnerable! Using a VPN or other methods does not 100% guarantee your protection on the web. To ensure better anonymity and security of your web space, you must continuously ensure you keep an open eye knowing that you’re always potentially vulnerable.
Nowadays, companies get rich easily by exploiting user data for their personal gain even without consent. It is a world of big data and it lacks proper regulations. The importance of data in this age and time demands for better protection and laws.
MiMundo is a technology first company based out of Valencia-Spain and Lisbon-Portugal helping numerous startups and enterprises to solve the complex business problem at scale. Our focus on business problems instead of technology solutions separates us from other technology providers. Our rich and deep domain expertise in E-commerce, Loyalty, Transports and Logistics, On-Demand, Online Education, Arts and Media, Health care, Fin-tech, Supply Chain, Gaming helps us to define scalable, fast, secure and optimal solutions for each specific industry use-cases. We are working on disruptive technology like Blockchain, Machine learning, Artificial intelligence, IOT, Virtual and Augmented reality. We can connect over a call for 30 minutes free consultancy or you can visit our website https://www.mimundo.io